Registry banner

Overview and History

The first official registrar was Arthur Bailey; however he was employed as the Surveyor General and as part of his job he also was the registrar of land,  births, deaths and marriages. He started work in the Falkland Islands in 1848 and he first signed the birth register in 1851. The post of Surveyor General was not abolished until 1873 and Arthur Bailey's job title then became Registrar General, Coroner and Receiver of Wrecks in 1874.

There have been a number of buildings where the Secretariat is now situated. The first building, known as the Offices, was erected between 1848 and 1855 and served principally as a Magistrate's Office and Courthouse but also housed the offices of the Government Surveyor, Arthur Bailey.

The Registry is now situated in the Town Hall and is responsible for all birth, death and marriage registrations, land registrations and patent registrations and renewals. The Town Hall was accidentally destroyed by fire in 1944, and was re-opened on Empire Day 20 May 1950. Due to this, many of the older record books kept in the Registry are badly damaged and fragile.

The Registrar General is also the Registrar of Companies meaning she is fully responsible for all company registrations, and subsequent filing of company documentation in the Falkland Islands, as well as being the Registration Officer for the purposes of maintaining the electoral register and being the logistical organiser for events such as the general election, by- elections and referendums.