Applications must be made from outside of the Falkland Islands.
A residence permit can be issued for a maximum period of three years.
Basic requirements that need to be met by the applicant are as follows:
- Satisfactory completion of the application form.
- Proof of suitable accommodation arrangements in place.
- Demonstration of sufficient financial resources to maintain themselves and any dependants that may be included in the application.
- Demonstration of sufficient financial resources to satisfy the Customs & Immigration Service that they will be able to repatriate themselves and any dependants that may be included in the application. This may be in the form of an undertaking from a third party who is already in the Falklands.
- Satisfactory criminal record checks.
- Satisfactory medical examination (Medical & Dental).
If a residence permit is granted for nine months or less then the applicant and dependants if any, are required to be in possession of adequate medical insurance for the duration of the intended stay to cover aero-medical evacuation costs to a minimum of USD 2,000,000 equivalent.
Employment is not permitted on a Residence Permit but holders of Residence Permits may apply for Work Permits. The issue of a work permit automatically revokes the residence permit.