Our work in the Community
The Social Services Team was set up in May 1999 when the first qualified Social Worker was recruited to the islands.
- Service-users and their carers should be fully involved in decisions about their lives
- To treat you with courtesy, honesty and respect. In return we will value these qualities from yourself
- Support you to achieve and sustain the maximum possible independence in your life
- To inform you in decisions and give you sufficient information to make informed choices
- To treat everyone equally with due regard to age, gender, race, religion, disability or sexual orientation
The aim of the team is to safeguard children, adults and all vulnerable members of the community. The team provides generic support services to children, adults and their families, and promotes the wellbeing of all members of the Falkland Islands Community.
We use clear assessments of need for both adults and children and these are completed in conjunction with parents and individuals and help us to understand what support is required and agree what that help should be. We will treat personal information as confidential and not share it with anyone else without prior written consent (unless exceptional circumstances apply).
We will always treat people with respect and understanding and we always use a non-judgemental approach to our work with families.