Falkland Islands Maritime Authority (FIMA)
Established by law in October 2018, the primary purpose of the Maritme Authority is the safety of seafarers and the protection of the maritime environment within the waters of the Falkland Islands.
The Maritime Authority sits within the Directorate of Emergency Services and Island Security and has the responsibility to prevent the loss of life on the coast and at sea and to produce legislation and guidance on maritime matters within the our waters.
We are responsible for:
- the safety of everybody in a vessel in Falkland Island waters
- the safety of all seafarers on Falkland Island Flagged vessels
- making sure all equipment on Falkland Island vessels is fit for purpose
- making sure all seafarers on Falkland Island vessels have correct documentation
- the environmental safety of Falkland Island coast and waters
- the accuracy of hydrographic data on charts
- overseeing maritime Search & Rescue and Maritime Safety Information
- legislation & guidance