Established by law in October 2018, the primary purpose of the Falkland Islands Maritme Authority is the safety of seafarers & the protection of the maritime environment within the waters of the Falkland Islands.
The Maritime Authority sits within the Directorate of Natural Resources and has the responsibility to prevent the loss of life on the coast and at sea, produce legislation and guidance on maritime matters within the waters of the Falkland Islands. We are responsible for:
- the safety of everybody in a vessel in FI waters
- the safety of all seafarers on FI flagged vessels
- making sure all equipment on FI vessels is fit for purpose
- making sure all seafarers on FI vessels have correct documentation
- the environmental safety of FI coast and waters
- the accuracy of hydrographic data on charts
- overseeing maritime search & rescue and Maritime Safety Information.
- legislation & guidance
The interim structure for the Authority: