The Register of Electors
The Registrar General, as the Registration Officer, is required to maintian a Register of Electors for each constituency (Camp & Stanley).
A canvass is conducted annually on the 15th March with the updated Registers Gazetted in May. Persons entitled to register as electors may do so at any time however, updated Registers will only be updated as and when required.
Eligibility to be inlcuded in the Register
Section 8 of the Electoral Ordinance 1998 states:
(1) To be entitled to be registered in the Register of Electors, a person must satisfy each of the three conditions in subsections (2) to (4).
(2) The first condition is that the person-
(a) must be qualified under section 32(1) of the Constitution* to be registered as an elector for the purpose of the election of members of the Legislative Assembly; and
(b) must not be disqualified under section 32(2) of the Constitution.
(3) The second condition is that the person must, on the qualifying date, either-
(a) be resident in the Falkland Islands; or
(b) be treated as being resident in the Falkland Islands under section 8A, 8B or 8C.
(4) The third condition is that the person must, throughout the qualifying period, either-
(a) have been resident in the Falkland Islands; or
(b) have been treated as being resident in the Falkland Islands under section 8A, 8B or 8C.
(5) For the purposes of section 32(5)(c) of the Constitution-
(a) "qualifying date" means, in relation to a person, means the date on which an application for registration is either-
(i) made; or
(ii) treated under section 11(2) as having been made; and
(b) "qualifying period" means the period of 12 months ending on the qualifying date.